Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sony CyberShot DSC-S950

To be honest I am basically a Sony sound system fanatic simply because I am a person to whom music means a lot, but it is also true I have an inherent weakness for the sony brand name itself.
Although I am not a professional photographer but photography does interest me a lot and on top of that there are friends who are professionals in this field.

I came across Sony Cybershot DSC-S950 through one of my friends, what attracted me was its silvery looks (not that it is available in silver only, pink and black variations are also available) and since it was there with him I borrowed it in order to try it out for a while. The slick looks impressed me a lot. Over all the quality seemed to me to be quite okay.

I got excellent results shooting out doors with rapid shutter speed in IS ISO100 mode, in fact the 4x zoom did not hinder the picture quality and the reproduction of details, I would say, was exceptionally good but I ran into serious problems while using the camera for out door photography using it at an ISO setting above 100, forget about ISO 3200, the photo quality detoriates very appreciable, in fact the results are really very poor.

Real problem starts when you are clicking indoors, the pictures are very noise (excessive grains) in low light and the video zoom becomes annoying along with very poor focus and it takes ages to recover for the second picture.

Another disturbing feature of this camera is the batteries, you have to remove and charge them, although, agreed, a plug in is available for a price but why not it is a single unit?. I thought Sony uses Carl-Zeiss lenses exclusively but not this one. Isn’t it strange for Sony ? Are they keeping an eye on the price?

No comments:

Post a Comment